Monday, July 30, 2007

Bad Parents= Rude Children

If a student uttered a vulgar word at me, or shouted obscenities at me, I'd slap her. Seriously, I would slap her so hard, she will never dare utter those words again to me or anyone else for that matter.

If I find out a student had happily flushed a sanitary napkin down the toilet, or found it appropriate to stuff it into the water tank or wherever(except a proper dustbin) she can stuff it into, AND refuse to own up, I would make them squat in the dirty pond too. In fact if I could, I would make them all line up in the toilet until one person confesses to the stupid crime. (It probably would be more effective than making them stand in the river. A quick visit to any toilet in Government Schools will convince you of that)


See? They can take a bath while they are at it too...

But then again, that's me.

When it comes to the parents of the students, they think it's something worth going to the press about. And the picture will usually show a very angry parent with captioned "Mr.X/Mrs. X holding the police report about the incident." Followed by a very sad looking girl/boy holding her face or pointing to a bruise/itch/cut with the captioned "Ms X showing the injury she sustained from the slapping/made to squat in river saga/punching."

Many headmasters and headmistresses have defended the actions of these teachers and I am no different. I think what they did was of course a normal reaction to very very bad behaviour.

I would ask the parents of these students to question their own parenting skills before asking the Education Department to discipline the teachers.

Firstly, what type of parenting skills have been exercised when a student can even THINK of flushing her sanitary pad down the toilet? One does not need much sense to know that it will cause it to be blocked and hence overflow and spoil the damn thing.

And what parent allows their child to utter vulgarities/obscenities at anyone what more a teacher? If a parent has brought up his or her child with the notion that it is ok to utter obscenities at a teacher, who is he to say the teacher needs to be disciplined for slapping a rude pig of a child that she or he has raised? I say, look at ur own parenting skills first.

Parents nowadays are a fussy bunch. Touch the child a little and they go berserk. Somehow they forget that a child is in a position whereby he does not do his homework, or is rude to a teacher or is blatantly ignorant of rules and regulations, because his or her parent has FAILED them. A parent has FAILED to bring up their child the right way. So they are quick to blame. It is a classic, Opps, my bad parenting skills are on display, lets quickly cover it up by saying its the teacher's fault."

Yeah sure people.

We ALL can see that YOU as a parent have failed your child.
Instead of going to the press and complaining about it, spend your time guiding and teaching your child.

After all, spare the rod, spoil the child.

2 comments:

WS said...

I have been broadcasting my distaste for rudeness too. In the hoohaa about student-teacher relationship recently, whilst I agree that parenting skills are to be blamed for the children's lack of manners, I'd like to think that:
1. the act of punching the student until he/she becomes deaf; or
2. making the student stand in the rain until he/she catches pneumonia; or
3. cracking the student's knuckles and fingers until he/she cannot write for weeks;

is not justified.

I have seen teachers who call students "Cow", "Slut", "Pig", "Dungu" and such. What should the students do? Just shut up and swallow it all? Provocation knows no age brackets.

If these are the type of teachers who slap the students for uttering vulgarities, I'd suggest them to review their own vocabularies before spanking the students who reflect them.

Bitch-on-a-rampage said...

Ah, my dear Wan Shin, you,fortunately have not had a parent who was a principal of a high school. Who has (and still is) in the education line. And have experienced such bad behaviour from children, they shock you to the core. Teachers who are rude/disrespectful are outnumbered by the number of children who have been badly brought up and think they can do anything they want.

No act of deafening a child, or maiming him is justified, but then again, no act of disrespect to an educator is justified as well.

And all I can say is, there is no reaction without provocation. And my friend, teachers have the worst. Trust me.