Friday, February 15, 2008

Empty Vessels make the most noise

I am rooting for Barack Obama.

Oh wait, he is not running in the elections in Malaysia. I forgot. I got so caught up in the battle that he has with that Hillary Clinton and analysing their policies and their blueprint for the future that I felt and thought and was actually convinced they were advocating for change in Malaysia. Okay, I WISHED.

When I go to barackobama.com, I see the list of his past "achievements". He is a lawyer from Harvard. He has been in practise for 10-15 years, active in racial abuse cases. He is the editor in Harvard Law Review.And he taught Constitutional Law for 10 years. A Professor. And all in all, he is only 46 years old.

Ok, because I am rooting for Obama, I did not bother with Hillary's website. However, some of barack obama's voters have also listed out the things she has done these past years of her life.(for comparison purposes)
She has been active in women's rights and the Purple Heart Foundation, and speech therapy for children. She has been active in quite a few things too (though of course not as impressive as Obama).

When I look at these two candidates, I know why its such a neck to neck race. They both have credentials. They both have done a lot for their country. And they both know what they are talking about.

That makes me sad.

Why?

It makes me sad because I compare them to our candidates in Malaysia. When our current PM became PM, I did not know (ok, I still do not know) what he has done previously to deserve being elevated to PM status. As far as I know, he is a graduate from UM. A Islamic Studies Graduate. Ok, I could do more research and find out more, but the thing is, that is not the case is it? If BN wins, UMNO President is PM for sure. So, it does not matter what he has or has not done, he will be PM for sure if BN wins a majority in the election.

What about the BN candidates? What have they done? What about DAP? or Keadilan? Anwar was incarcerated, he was victimised, he was made the scapegoat, but what has he done previously to deserve votes? Bowing to government policies when he was in the administration?

What has ANY of the politicians done? Most (if not all) of them have no experience, besides going from village to village fishing for votes, and they do not even KNOW what they are talking about.

The only candidate whom i KNOW has done something and is still doing something for the people, its Michael Chong. He is helping people from all walks of life, everyday of his life. He receives threats but he soldiers on. But is asking to be elected into Parliament? Unfortunately(or fortunately), he is not. Because he knows, once he is elected, he has no time to actually DO something. He would probably be too busy talking about doing something, but not actually doing it.

Sure, Khir Toyo the MB of Selangor says, Do not listen to the opposition's lies. They are out to smear our names. They do not even have anything to complain about, so they smear our names.

What about YOUR lies Khir Toyo? Please, you even lied about your alleged plastic surgery by saying it was a "well rested I am eating healthy transformation". I have been resting well and eating well for the past 26 years, but it has not given me a permanent surprise, taut skin , free of blemish and pigmentation look!

Every other day the SUN highlights your abuses. Please, lets not talk about opposition lies. Let us talk about your own. Let us talk about what you have been trying to do. Hoodwinking your people.

I am afraid to know sometimes. Afraid to find out that these people are all empty vessels. Though I know at the back of my head, they probably are.

Well you know what they say, empty vessels make the most noise.

I am contemplating whether I will, on March 8, be confident knowing,

"X marks the (right) spot."

No comments: