Wednesday, June 07, 2006

the PM showdown



AAhhh...the glory of Malaysia. The 2nd tallest building in the world. (We are not third yet are we?) The only building in the world which was built with tons and tons of concrete instead of steel to sustain its weight. The only building in the world which has double lifts operating in the small space of the interior. The safest building in the world which allows for an escape route for the occupants through the other tower should one tower be in trouble.

The vision of our then PM Tun Dr. Mahathir.
One of many of his visions actually.


Just the other day I met Tun himself in KLCC. So being the typical star struck Malaysian that I was, I lurked around and contemplated to myself whether I should approach him for a picture. After much deliberations and a quick phone call to my mum who told me to stop being a wuss and go approach Tun, I did. And of all the people who were milling around Guardian Pharmacy, I had to ask a middle aged lady to snap a picture of me and Tun and Dr. Siti Hasmah with my hp camera. Of course she didnt know how to zoom so we looked like three tiny ants in a blur picture. It could have been Tun, it might not have been. Who can tell through the small blur picture?!
*Note to self. Avoid middle aged women who do not know how to take pics with hp camera.

SO moving along with the story, I excitedly told everyone that I met Dr. M and lucky me, I snapped a picture with him!

A friend of mine retorted: "Well, its not like everyday you get to take a picture with a scum!"

Ok, time for a pause.

Scum?

But I admire the man for all he has done for this country. He was a man of vision. He had visions of Malaysia which our current PM does not.

He brought Malaysia to the world. We are Malaysia, not the country next to Singapore.

He gave us F1. He gave us KLIA, which on the Discovery channel ad had the tagline, "Maybe one day all airports will be like this one."

Oh, his detractors will say, but he practiced cronyism, he was corrupted, power hungry, he was a dictator!

Tell me which politician is not. If our current PM does not practise cronyism, then why are there rumours that his son's company in charge of the MAS meals in which an egg which normally costs 50 sen costs RM5?(I could be wrong. I stand corrected.)

All politicians are corrupt. It is whether they have the vision and dedication to balance it out.

Pro Badawi camp says: He allowed forums to discuss religions. He allowed forums to discuss the rakyat's fundamental rights. The 9MP benefits the rakyat!

Yeah, he also said religion is a sensitive area which we shouldnt venture into. He also said the police were wrong to ask the participants of the Article 11 forum to disperse and thats all he did. He just said it was wrong. He didnt do anything else. (he terms most things as "sensitive" and then dismiss it) He also said it was the majority's policy not to support the motion of the opposition. He also modelled the 9MP according to Islamic policies.

How do we benefit? How do the Chinese benefit?Actually, how do non-Muslims benefit? How have we benefitted from the religious forums? How have we benefitted at all?

The only thing I remember ever since Badawi came to power is that electricity rates have gone up, petrol prices have gone up, the Singapore bridge has been cancelled, the so called Khidmat Negara (which I see no purpose for) has been implemented, MAS ticket prices keep soaring (national carrier yet is more expensive compared to other airlines in the world) and the police dispersing peaceful protests on fuel and electricity hikes, like it was an angry bunch of demonstrators going against the government with tears gas, a lot of kicking and punching.

I dont remember much else.

No comments: