Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Has the Government failed them?

So by now, most of you would have known that, last friday at 7.15am right in front of my office, I became part of the crime statistics. My bag got yanked, pulled and snatched away from my two hands. It didnt matter that I placed my whole weight on the bag, they were so determined to get it that they pulled until the strap broke. And along with my favourite bag, went my new hp and all my other wordly possessions. The good news is that my purse fell out, so they only took my wordly possessions minus my purse.

Anyways, of course I have to state here who these two men on a motorbike were. They were two indian men. One tall,skinny and the other a little chubbier. Apparently these two men were on a roll, cos just 15 mins after they snatched my bag, they went over to a nearby spot and snatched another lady's bag. Ok, so I ASSUMED they were the ones because according to the Chinese lady, there were two indian men, one tall and thin and the other chubby. And while I was making a police report, another lady came in and said her bag got snatched right in front of the police station by, who else? Two indian men.

Ok, so the question here would be, has the Government failed the Indians? Why are they resorting to all these crimes? While some of you are hopping mad from my statements because you think I am racist, I think you should see the statistics. Most of these snatch thefts are done by Indian men. How would I know? I spoke to the Inspector who said, majority of the cases that they encounter, the victims always say, there were Indians.
I am sorry if I am racist for fingerpointing the Indians...but from my experience (my sis, my cousins and my friends got their bags snatched too) they always are Indians.

So, I repeat the question. Have the Government failed the Indians? Is it true that not enough is done to elevate their status in the community? To help the poor ones? To educate them? I think the government has not done enough to help them break out from the cycle of poverty and crime. When they grow up so poor, they do not know how else to make money. They do not have the education because Tamil schools are set up in rural areas and there isnt enough students to sustain the school,so eventually it closes down. So its a vicious cycle which can only be broken by the Government's help. I think its about time the Government stops focusing only on special privileges, and the NEP which only benefits one race, I think its time to help the poor and eradicate poverty, regardless of race.

Something has to be done. There is only so many of my worldy possessions that I can afford to lose.

No comments: