Thursday, January 04, 2007

Oh Christmas tree, oh, bikini...

Everyone is fussing about the new rules on the dress code in Kelantan (was it in Kelantan?I forget) and while I could not agree more on there being no necessity to fine women who are "indecently dressed", I do believe that there should at least be some code on dressing when it comes to celebrities. Malaysian celebrities anyway.

Before I go any further, I have to exclaim that I cannot believe I am so conservative and old fashioned. Times have changed. And that can only mean I am growing older. Dammit.

Anyway moving on to the issue at hand, there I was just happily strolling in Guardian the other day when I chanced upon a beauty queen turned hot chick of the mo's new christmas album on display. And just in case we might miss her new album on display, it was put at the cashier's counter together with a big poster of her right firmly placed on the wall next to her CDs. So here I was wondering why anyone in Malaysia would produce a Christmas album ( its not like I do not support the Malaysia Boleh spirit but I think there is only SO many Christmas songs one can sing and truthfully, give me Mariah C's version of the Christmas jingles anytime) and more importantly, I was wondering why anyone would pose in a bikini with a santa hat, on her knees in a provocative pose, nibbling "gently" at her finger (to add the kitty sex appeal) on a Christmas album. I get it if you were promoting a club mix or maybe a dance album or maybe even a dangdut album (to rival our Indonesian counterpart we have to put ourselves out there in a bikini!) but a Christmas album? Seriously?

For me I think it is done in poor taste. And of course the target audience being the men. Scenario at Guardian with male counterpart:
Guy: OHMIGOD!She is SO HOT!
Gal: OHMIGOD!How skanky is that? SKANKY HOEEeEEeEE!
G: Huh? She is like SO hot.Ohh, check out the bikini.... I so have to buy the album. (followed by trial of drool)

Now that we have firmly established the reason for her bikini and how it obviously worked, one has to wonder whether there should be some regulations on the celebrities and their dressing. Sure, I do not look in disgust when I see young girls strutting around in clubs with a skirt so short it could double up as a belt and a top so small I wonder if she just tied a scarf around her chest to keep her from catching a cold, but to have celebrities parading themselves in events with those clothes? And to have a bikini on a Christmas cover? Seriously, I would like to backtrack a little from my I am open minded thinking and say, that is just too much. These celebrities are one every damn page of whatever is in print. We see them all the time (even if we do not want to). So perhaps it makes more sense to control THEIR dressing than ours. Perhaps it makes more sense to fine them than to fine us when we are going about our daily lives and doing our own thing (and not photographed while doing it).

We are after all Malaysians and while sexy is accepted, downright skanky should be banned. At least on Christmas albums anyway.

3 comments:

harrylee said...

didn't some one say, i may not agree with what you wear but i will defend your right to wear what you want ...
(provided of course you do wear something)

kong yoke said...

who's this celeb? hah? go and steal my skanky ho title. wadefak.

Bitch-on-a-rampage said...

If you're in a bikini on a christmas album, its as good as not wearing anything!Oh, the horror!The poor kids...