Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How a pessimist tried to bring me down..

Now, I have a friend, (whom I shall refer to as J) who over dinner and coffee one night told me "Its better to have something than to have nothing" when I asked why he was such a big BN supporter.

His rationale? That the Non Malays have quite a lot now. Its not a lot but its enough because, as said above, "its better to have something than nothing".

When the election results were announced on Sunday, I texted him to say, "Well I guess not everyone thinks along the same lines as you. We actually believe its not better to have something compared to nothing. We can actually have more."

And I received this reply:-
"Nope, its more of our future is now filled with more uncertainty. in a global perspective investors may just pull all funds out. Then there goes our contry and our livelihood. many just dont see the magnitude of their actions. The consequences will come..and I hope we are all ready to move backwards."

On Monday,Mr. I-told-you-so aka J texted me to say "KLSE dropped 99 points and closed in the negative. But no point crying over spilt milk"

Of course my immediate reaction to Mr. I-told-you-so was that he obviously had not read the reports of analysts and the news surrounding the market drop. All SEA markets have been steadily dropping as a reaction to US job cutbacks. Even the US market dropped 140 points. And Malaysian market being one which is influenced by everything, would drop too. (As confirmed by Ex Bursa Malaysia President on Bernama TV yesterday)

But of course Mr. I-told-you-so was quick to jump at the opportunity to shout HAH!I TOLD you the economy will go to the dogs because of these stupid actions of the electorate voting for the Opposition. (Without doing much research on the issue I must add)

Now, this is why I beg to differ from Mr. I-told-you-so.

Many fail to see the long term effects of this election result. There will now be more accountability and transparency in the Government and its spending. That can only augur well for the country. No more mega projects without accountability. No more selling of Proton(or what not) for RM1. No more cancelling projects as and when they like. No more of these bullshit. And how is that bad for the country?

I wonder whether these non believers actually sit down to think, now the Opposition Coalition could have won by such a big majority only if a lot of the rakyat actually thought they can actually perform. The voters who live in Bangsar, Perak, Selangor and Kedah are obviously not uneducated, non investors and un-economically savvy. They would have definitely thought about their votes and their livelihood and their investments. They made an informed choice. They KNOW what they were voting for. A portion of those investors and sharemarket players LIVE in Bangsar. A huge portion of them live in those areas where the Coalition was given a majority.

As much as Mr. I-told-you-so wants to deny it, he cannot ignore the fact that the supporters of the Opposition might actually know more than he does. But then, its not my nature to jump up in other people's faces and go HAH!I told you so! I prefer to be more subtle by spewing facts and statistics. (wah, konon...)

Of course I must add here, I have my doubts about some of the choices made by the electorate. Loh Gwo Burne for Kelana Jaya? Nurul Izzah for Lembah Pantai?

Sharizat has been doing a good job and I sympathise with her for being kicked out just by being in BN. She has done a lot for Bangsar and she has also been a MP who has been vocal about Women's Rights. Of course many have said Nurul Izzah should be given a chance. But I think perhaps. just maybe, Lembah Pantai is too big for her this time. Not as a newbie with no experience. I have doubts. But of course, unlike Mr. I-told-you-so, I will not dismiss her completely. I shall give her a chance.

Loh Gwo Burne?
I have nothing to so. All he did was take the V K Lingam tape.
Seriously. That is all that man did. And people voted him to represent them in Kelana Jaya?

There is Anti Government, and there is Blindy cutting your nose to spite the face.

Well, the winds of change have finally arrived in Malaysia.

I will embrace it, but of course, with a tinge of caution.

2 comments:

kong yoke said...

Good lord! Who's your friend?
Tsk Tsk Tsk...the sorta ppl you mix with :-P

Ppl like J are complacent, lazy cowards. As long as they're given enough to line their stomachs, they're so willing to give up their freedom, their rights, their dignity.

We don't know for certain whether the opposition will make a better government than BN, but at least we won't provide them with a monopoly.

It's always good for consumers when there's competition in the market.

Bitch-on-a-rampage said...

J is the type of person whose parents could give him everything. Who didnt lose out scholarships, or be chased out of the squatters and forced to stay in a rent and fork out money every month, who wasnt denied a place in the University even with excellent results. He has been born with a silver spoon in his mouth. So to him, everything is great. Because it IS, for him.