Friday, March 28, 2008

Once you're dead, you've lost a big part of your life!

I do not know what the big fuss about the Judicial Fiasco of Tun Salleh Abbas is about. And I sure as hell do not know why some would call for an apology either by the current government or by the previous PM.

Seriously. It happened such a long time ago. And frankly, most of us either:-
1) Do not care, or
2) Have forgotten about it, or
3) Want to move on, or
4) Wish for the focus to be on the current state of judiciary than how it was before.

I fall under category 3 & 4. While I do not care deeply about it, I of course wished such a "fiasco" did not marr the judiciary of Malaysia. But then, we are suppose to MOVE ON. We learn from mistakes and we MOVE ON.

We dont come into a new Malaysia (or whatever they call it after March 8) and harp on PAST issues!We do not say MALAYSIANS HAVE SPOKEN! We are tired of the OLD SHIT! We want CHANGE! WE WANT A BETTER FUTURE! And then say, however, before that, lets revisit the past and ask for apologies.

Come on. Who the heck cares whether the government/ex PM apologises? Does it change anything? Does it automatically change the state of the Judiciary now? Does it make all appointments of judges now legitimate? I think the answer is obviously a resounding NO.

For me, I do not care much about what is to be done to "correct" the wrongs of the past. I want to know what can be done to correct the wrongs right before my eyes TODAY. NOW. Tell me why some lawyers without any criminal experience (and I mean WITHOUT/NIL/NADA) can be a High Court Judge deciding on the lives of people? Sending them to the gallows when frankly, she has been doing Family matters all these while when in private practice. Even we do not approach a conveyancing lawyer and ask him or her to help us fight a litigation. We find a litigation lawyer. And what more being placed before a person who will decide on your life or death. Does that not send shivers down your spine?

So really, give the apology thing a rest. Look to the future. Focus on the present. Give us something to chew on NOW. We want changes. We want things to improve for the better.

Yes, while some of us agree that an apology for past wrongs will ensure a smoother transition to improvements in the future, unfortunately, its too late now. Wrongs have been done. And frankly, all that happened was that some people lost their jobs. Albeit high ranking jobs. I think more importantly, there are some people NOW with their lives in the hands of incompetent ones. That I think is more important that losing one's job or pride.

Because you know, in Brooke Shield's words "once you are dead, you've lost a big part of your life".

Gosh, such wise words to live by.

No comments: