Friday, April 25, 2008

Why I envy Penang (Just this ONE time)



"My objective is clear and it has remained consistent throughout my political career, which is to serve the people.

My decision is motivated by the fact that Penang's interest cannot be compromised by any politicial consideration."

- Datuk Lee Kah Choon on why he quit Gerakan after accepting the post of director in InvestPenang and Penang Development Corporation.

THIS is probably the only time I envy Penang.
(I mean, prior to this, I never envied their bad traffic, their bridge woes, their dirtied beaches and their bad drivers.)

But now, I envy that they have a man, who is above the rest. A man, who actually stands out and ABOVE all petty politicking. A man who truly believes he serves the interest of the state and the nation above his own. A man who made the bold decision to quit his party because "BN had never had the policy of working with an Opposition party".(BN supporters? Do you hear that? Its not about what is best for you as citizens. It is ALL about what is best for the party.)

Someone whom we can finally heave a sigh of relief because he actually exsists and wants to serve the country. And its not about which party he belongs to, and what party interests he has to serve, and its not all about TALKING about serving the people(subject to it being within party limits) but actually DOING it.

A true statesman indeed.

A round of applause for this great man.

So can this man live up to the heavy burden placed on his shoulders? Many doubt his abilities. Many yell that he has NO experience. And to this, I ask, did the ex Chief Minister have any experience prior to being elected to the Penang's Development Corporation? Not that I know of. Did Penangnites give him a chance? They sure did. Did the BN people shout obscenities of his inexperience? Not that I heard of.

Let us see whether he can perform in his new shoes. His heart and his head is in the right place. That already scores brownie points with me.

Penang, I envy you. Just this once.

No comments: