Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To know what is right vs knowing how to do it right

This morning, a fellow lawyer and friend asked me if I would be attending the EGM this Friday.
Firstly I said "what EGM?" and secondly I said "What for?"

I was then asked to watch this video:-



After watching this video, I was asked to read a blog of one of the lawyers here.

So like I said in my previous posting, I said the lawyers may have threatened or demanded to see those arrested and I said I was not there and I stand corrected. So, here I admit, there were no threats, but clearly from the video you can see that they were insistent and demanded to see those arrested.

Firstly, yes, these as you can see, are very junior lawyers much like myself. And it is normal to come full with ideals of the law and the rights of the accused and the rights of lawyers to represent the accused persons. However, any seasoned lawyer will tell you that there really is no need for aggression.

Obviously the OCPD was fuming. Obviously if he was already shouting TANGKAP TANGKAP like a mad idiot shows that it probably would not do you any good to stand outside after he had yelled for all of you to bersurai to keep staying there and insisting to be allowed inside. To be fair to the police, whenever anyone is arrested, they are not given any access to the lawyers until perhaps a little later or the next day. Why should these people who were arrested for holding the candlelight vigil be any different? (Of course the reason as to why they were arrested is laughable and beyond idiocy but that is a different story altogether)

I am not saying that the lawyers were not doing what they should have done, I am saying that it could have been done differently. Where were the senior lawyers? Why is it that a bunch of young inexperienced lawyers were sent out there to "fight for the rights" of those who had their rights violated?

I am sorry, but I still stand by my belief. I know what is right, but I also know how it should be done and the way it was done as shown in the video above, is just not it.

No comments: