Friday, May 08, 2009

Why lawyers are annoying

You know what it is about lawyers which is so annoying? The I am greater than thou attitude. The YOU KNOW WHO I AM OR NOT? YOU KNOW WHAT I DO?

That is all bullshit man. Surgeons around the world are doing face transplants, doctors around the world are saving lives, scientists around the world are looking for cures for AIDS and coming up with artificial eyes for the blind and Stephen Hawking is still a living, breathing talking man despite his condition. Those people, if they want to gloat a little, or maybe yell YOU KNOW WHAT I DO OR NOT? Well, they can.

But lawyers. Damn. Those people are just annoying.

Yesterday I received a text at around 12am from a friend who informed me that 5 lawyers were arrested in the Brickfields police station. Now, I have mentioned before in here that I DO NOT subscribe to street protests and useless gatherings and demonstrations. Because to me, that does not solve anything, in fact it makes the authorities even more agitated and more inclined to show what type of power they can yield.

I gently reminded my friend that perhaps, these gathering of lawyers for a show of power is not the best solution. Perhaps, the Bar Council president who was there, ought to have pulled the OCPD aside and asked, NICELY, whether he could have maybe a minute or two to see the arrested lawyers and to see how they intend to proceed with the matter.

Instead, I can bet my life, the lawyers yelled and shouted, screamed and kicked up a fuss about not being able to see their fellow brothers in robes. In fact, I think these screaming,kicking,fussing and demanding was probably what got them arrested in the first place. But I was not there, so I stand corrected. However what I WILL say is this:-

Sure, the PDRM can be considered a piece of dog shit when it comes to being impartial. They are biased, much like every government agency is, but I think, it is hardly justifiable for the police man/men who sat in the Brickfields police station to haul 5 lawyers into the cells just because the ASKED to see those who were arrested during the candlelight vigil. I sincerely, truly doubt it. What I sincerely truly believed is that the lawyers made a fuss, a big whole ruckus, possibly made some legal threats, maybe spit a little (say it, dont spray it) and did some table banging and INSISTED they be GIVEN THE LEGAL RIGHT to have representation.

Darling, legal rights exists. But yelling it on top of your lungs and demanding it isnt going to get you anywhere. Mahatma Gandhi didnt get where he did by yelling his right as an Indian citizen to freedom. Tunku Abdul Rahman did not stomp the British offices demanding Malaya's independence because it was OUR RIGHT TO BE FREE! No siree, it was done properly, peacefully and rightfully.

So, all my brothers in robes out there, please, press pause.

Knowing what is right and doing it properly is one thing but knowing what is right, and insisting, demanding, threatening and yelling it has to be done the LEGAL way is really, another winding, slow path to death.

1 comment:

kong yoke said...

which sorta reminded me of the time my colleague got into a little accident, which was not his fault.

when my colleague wanted him to compensate for the damages, the guy in the other car stepped out and went like "eh! you know who i am or not? i'm a lawyer!"

like...wow...:8/