Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How a missing child ticked me off

I often wondered if I am the type of person who would cut my nose off just to spite my face.
I often thought I was and am not.

However, today I turned the pages of the newspapers and saw the ad for the missing girl Sharlinie Mohd Nashar. I did not even bother LOOKING at the photo that was attached to the tagline "MISSING/HILANG". Why? Presumably because I already know at the back of my head I would never be able to recognise a small girl (especially when I am not out specifically LOOKING for her) after looking at a picture for a mere few minutes. (What are the chances of you looking at a picture for a few minutes and if it so happens you were to see her, you say HEY!ITS SHARLINIE?! Unless she were dressed in a clown outfit or a neon glowing one, I doubt I have THAT keen an eye to see her in a sea of faces).

But perhaps also..just maybe, I dont really care.
Yes, many of you may open your mouth in horror or exclaim that I am inhumane and heartless. But you know what, how I feel about something does not need approval or judgment from anyone else. And frankly, I think some of you might just be as sick of it as I am.

Why is it that I perhaps, maybe...dont really care?

Now, like I said, I may be a person who might cut off my nose to spite the face. So here goes, firstly, what is SO special about Sharlinie? I mean, little children go missing all the time (somehow, statistics will show that malay kids tend to make up the majority of them..of course I many be wrong but judging from recent events) There was Nurin (whose father Jazimin is busy "tumpang-ing the glamour" of the recent disappearance of Sharlinie- like why do YOU need to give public statements? Who the heck ARE you? Why the heck must you appear in newspapers?Just because you daughter was found stuffed in a bag makes you the authority on missing children and what the police ought to do and what the public ought NOT to do? F off.) and there was Shearway Ooi - both of which were found murdered- one perpetrator caught the other roams free. And then there was the Indian girl who went to buy VCDs in the pasar malam and somehow did not come back at 12am and her parents subsequently made a police report at 4am.(who KNOWS why parents need to take so long before they realise, Hmmm...maybe my daughter is missing!) Of course this indian girl was fortunate enough to be found and returned to her parents.

Ok, back to why is Sharlinie so important?
Why are major companies joining in the effort to search for this girl? Newspaper ads from RHB, radio ads heard over Mix and Lite FM? Astro is showing it during commercials, and they get maximum press coverage on the disappearance of Sharlinie. Why is she so special compared to other children who went missing earlier? How come nobody did a nationwide search when Shearway Ooi went missing?Sure, there were some newspaper articles on her. But posters, ads and radio announcements?When? I dont remember it at all. What about the Indian girl? I am sorry, but I am about to make a biased, racist observation. Why do Malay children get all the attention? Why only Malay children? Remember Yin? The boy who wondered off in Lot 10? Oh, he got major nationwide attention too. And surprisingly, the police I believe has offered a reward if one is to find Sharlinie. (what is this? The Find Osama bin Laden gameshow!?!SPOT SHARLINIE!WIN A PRIZE!)

Sure, many of you may think I am just a bitter chinese girl. Well, you know what?

I am.

I am the bitter chinese girl who read in the newspapers that the Government allocated RM10 million to help Muslims who borrowed money from the Ah Longs, the one who see tons of lousy colleges get University Status because they are run by Malays but takes LICT 10 years before they were allowed to have it. Where there is UiTM, UTM, UPM, UKM, UM, UTP, and all other "U" cropping up everywhere in which the Non-Muslims have to FIGHT to get it even if they have good results because there is a quota, but only one chinese run "U" which after 10 years of fighting and pleading, was finally allowed to be set up, UTAR.

And yes, I am also the same bitter chinese girl who did not get a scholarship from the college she graduated from because I was not told the "inside" information about the College offering scholarships to students who cannot afford to fund their tertiary education- but miraculously a Malay boy with D D E results was TOLD about it, and got a scholarship to go study overseas.

I am also the same bitter chinese girl who do not and will never EVER understand the word "TOLERANCE" when Muslims says we are TOLERANT of the Non Muslims and their ways.
Who died and made you the owners of Malaysia?

Am I just a bitter Chinese girl?

You bet your life I AM.

I KNOW, some Muslims disagree with me. Some may say, hey, I am not like that!
I know. I have Malay friends who ADMIT that because they are the race they are, they get more than I ever will and they are not proud of it. Those friends of mine, you know who you are, I respect you.

But unfortunately, you are not running the Government. You do not make the majority.
And unfortunately, if ever UMNO were to be toppled, I would be too dead to know.

No comments: